Friday, February 17, 2006

RU486......

...or are you against it?

Yesterday the Austrlian parliament to take the power of veto away from the Health Minister Tony Abbott, effectively handing control of the drug to the Therapeutic Goods Administration. From a purely medical and scientific angle, there can be no argument that this is where control of the drug belongs, with a body set up for the specific purpose of determining the safety and appropriateness of pharmaceuticals and medicines. It is the moral angle that makes this debate so interesting. Not the morals of abortion itself, that's too complex a subject for this short forum, but whether or not when we elect out government representatives, we expect them to act as our moral compass. I, for one, vote for the candidate that I believe shares the most points of view with me. To me, yesterday's vote was one of common sense. Pregnancy termination is legal here, the moral question has been asked and answered there. Yesterday's vote was about who should decide the best way to carry out the termination.

If anyone is interested in my slant on the abortion debate, I am pro-choice. Pro-choice does not mean I agree with it, just your right to choose.

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it. " - Voltaire

No comments: