Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Make your own kind of music


So Real...

Music has always been an important part of my life. Other peoples music, much to my frustration, for while I can recognise all the elements that make a good song, I seem to be completely incapable of producing anything half decent.

Anyway, enough self indulgent whining. What has caught my attention today is the variety in peoples taste of music. Or my bewilderment at what defines someone's taste in music. For example, I am going through a major love affair with "Grace" by
Jeff Buckley. His unorthodox and innovative guitar style combined with a sweet, plaintive voice and incisive lyrics reach down into my soul and drag my pain and despair (however deep) into the light and makes it somehow beautiful. To me, tracks like "Grace", "So real", "Lover, you should have come over" and "Hallelujah" speak to me like the voice of god. However, my amica bella, who introduced me to Missy Higgins and The White Stripes , and turned a passing acquintance with the music of Beth Orton into an obsession thinks "he's all right, but can't really get into him." On the other side of the coin, old boy who I consider has reasonable taste in music, including The Beautiful Girls and Xavier Rudd went through a phase where he'd be playing Lyle Lovett (Find your own link!) every time I visited.

I guess different music appeals to us all in different ways, and it's these differences that make the pieces fit together. If I could explain it, then that would take the magic of it away. It also gives me hope that someday, someone, somewhere will say to me "What song is that, that's pretty cool" ;-D

Pump up the Jam.

No comments: