Monday, February 06, 2006


Racism or what colour is that kettle?

I never thought my first blog entry would be about racism. Actually I never thought I would have a first blog entry, I only signed up to post a comment on someone else's blog. However, here we are.

I like to consider myself a fairly reasonable, if not, culturally enlightened sort of person. The crowd behaviour at the cricket here in Australia has been deplorable, in relation to racist taunts directed at the Sri Lankan and South African players. I'm sure enough has been written on the subject to satisfy your curiousity. It is, however, these very writings that have prompted this drivel. Am I the only one who finds it ironic that journalists are guilty of racism (as defined by ICERD above) with comments like "national immaturity prevents Australia from recognising the racism" and "but when it comes to colour the country is expert at clamming and covering up"? That seems to group me with a bunch of (usually) alcohol-fuelled dead shits (there's a term I haven't used in a while) and/or "conservative" non-apologist politicians. I cannot identify culturally or personally with these groups, but the article I have quoted here seems to claim they represent me.

I'm Australian.
I am not racist.
Therefore, Australia as a whole, is not racist.

I've always said all generalisations are bad.

No comments: