Friday, March 10, 2006

Ugly Parents...


....raise ugly children

Sad to say, I wasn't really surprised when I came across this story. For the last 4 years I have been involved in junior soccer, the last couple at a fairly competitive level. Soccer parents are very intense. Bear (my younger son) started training in January for a season that kicks of on the last day of April, but one of the other Mums fronted his coach at training because she didn't believe the training sessions go for long enough!! It was 38 deg on Tuesday, and the boys ran from 5 o'clock until 6:15 or so. "This is Academy level football", as if that were a mantra. I guess I'm just the opposite, because I think that Fred (the elder) is being pushed too hard. February saw him start high school, play cricket at District level, start pre-season soccer and take up indoor soccer as part of his training. I love the game, I love sport in general, but some people just take it too far.

It's just a game.

No comments: