Thursday, March 09, 2006

Forever Young


Melancholy

I had a brief but interesting conversation with G and Sir Woodie last night about sadness and perspective. G mentioned watching a video clip of a song (Forever Young) that has young guys skating in it, and tried to describe the sadness and at the same time pleasure he felt reminiscing. I really thought I was the only one who thought like that. Sir Woodie, of course, never thinks like that, so he informs us, and I envy him if that is the case. I'm not trying to imply that all memories send me spiralling down into depression, but sometimes, the sense of loss for who I was, and what I was is almost overwhelming. I think it is because of the finality of it, the fact that it is impossible for me to go back and be that person that allows me to indulge myself in this way. If it was the re-creation of the experience I truly desired, then I would do something more about it than blog it. No, it is not the longing for past experiences I feel, but a longing for the past. The very fact that it is denied me allows me to rail internally about the unfairness of it all without the obligation (or even option) of having to do anything tangible.

No comments: