Friday, April 07, 2006

The weekend

Thank God it's Friday






I found the picture alongside this entry somewhere among my trawling of the web (no idea where) and it appealed to me. I thought "yeah, it's Friday, write an entry about the weekend". Then I looked at it again and realised it really didn't represent my current attitude to work at all. I am in the rare position of actually loving my job at the moment. My lovely bride is always having a go at me because when ever any body asks how my new job is (I've been here for about 6 weeks) my response is usually a non-committal sort or shrug accompanied by "Yeah, it's OK"
This is not through any lack of interest in my job ON MY PART, but a knowledge that the user (oops, Freudian slip),I mean, person asking the question, really doesn't want to hear anything about my job, but may be interested in my reaction to it. I work in engineering now, and do support work and development for computer software, so all the things that I find so endearing and interesting in my job would bore anyone else outside the game shipless. Rather than extend the conversation to a point where eyes begin to glaze over ("It's really cool, I was doing this thing this week with SQL that allows users to parameterise the other parameters in the report" See?) , I take the non-committal option and kill the conversation in it's tracks. It also gives the bride an opportunity to wrest the conversation back and do my boasting for me.
So, back to my original point, the weekend is no longer just a cessation of work for me, it is an opportunity to do fun things that are not work.

I think that's pretty cool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ranxy,
i like that picture too.