Monday, April 10, 2006

Blues and rooted


Wow.What a fantastic day. The West Coast blues and roots festival was this weekend, down on the Esplanade at Freo. While not many of the "headline" acts could be really labelled Blues and Roots, there was enough talent on show to forgive the organiser's for sneaking them in. I'll start at the start. We arrived at around 1:30 or so, hooked up with Shar-Lee, just missed Blue King Brown, but caught the end of Carus and the True Believers while organiseing beer tickets etc. Didn't really listen to them enough to do them justice, but I remember loving them from 2005. Jump back to the big top to listen to Josh Pyke and hook up with Damo, Lu and 'relle. I insisted that they all join me back at the Harbour Stage to see The Beautiful Girls (who incidentally are not girls, as Lu found out). They were fantastic and expanded their fan base by at least the five people I was with. Mia Dobson was next up in the Big Top. She has a voice I found similar to Melissa Etheridge, but not any where near as angry. Then came, for me, the surprise package of the day Jamie Cullum (and I don't just mean surprise as in he wasn't black or bald as I'd pictured him). He seriously rocked the crowd, just by playing good music and loving it. Even his version of Jeff Buckley's "Lover, you should have come over", which quite frankly appalled me when I first heard it, last year, struck a chord. Then he switched to playing a drum with a carnivale beat and the atmosphere just peaked. I didn't think he was ever going to leave the stage, or that the crowd would let him.

No comments: