Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Melbourne Cup Day


I have never been a fan of horse racing, not even the Melbourne Cup, though usually I do have the day off and get trashed at the local race track, but that has more to do with the company than the actual entertainment.

I was intrigued earlier this week by calls for Melbourne Cup day to become a public holiday in states other than Victoria.

Now, I like a bludge as much as the next person, but I believe this would be a mistake. For me, the beauty of having Cup day off is that there are still people all over the city working. It gives me a thrill of slightly illicit pleasure to think I am out carousing while government buildings, offices and schools through out the metropolitan area are filled with people crowded around radios and wheeling in televisions to watch the race. Or if I am at work myself, one of the huddlers, it gives me a sense of community with my co-workers to take the time to watch the race. Frankly, I think the sense of sharing is what makes it special for those still at work. Otherwise, it's just a horse race.

Who won?

No comments: