Monday, November 27, 2006

Is it worth it?


"War grows out of the desire of the individual to gain advantage at the expense of his fellow man
Napoleon Hill


How can I explain to my sons the difference between strength and aggression? How can I explain to them the line between defending one's self and exploitation, when I'm not sure of it myself.

I sometimes wonder if my leftist, pacifist leanings lead to me being "taken advantage of", but when I consider the alternative, I hope so. How can you give freely of yourself, then complain when someone accepts? Conversely, why would you "take" from others something not offered? We can see where that leads in just about any newspaper on any day. If anyone reads this, try for this week to offer freely of yourself and to accept what is offered to you and nothing more.

No comments: