Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Equality in sport

I found this interesting story while trawling the internet for cricket related news. It seems an "Old Boy" has taken offence at his school selecting a girl (Ian Healy's 16 yo niece) in their First XI.

Personally I cannot understand how someone could take offence at such a thing. How insecure would you have to be to wish the girl anything other than success? I have always sort of hoped that sport would be truly unisex (and not only so I don't have to watch women's sport). I love the fact that on the field, you are either one of the "goodies" or the "baddies". No in between, no shades of grey. I don't care where you were born, where you live or what you do for a job. And I see no difference between men and women (other than the good ones) on the sporting fields. Sport, more than most other avenues, offers the opportunity for equality. Everyone wears the same uniform and everyone gets the same chance.


If you're good enough.

No comments: