Monday, May 01, 2006

Here we go again.....

...with the ugliness
I am beginning (again) to question my involvement with soccer/football. Not because of the game itself, I get an honest pleasure from watching the game, but from the people it attracts. I know, I am aware of the incongruity in saying I'm attracted to the game and then in the next breath raisng concerns about the people it attracts, but I think that may be part of my concern. What if I am one of "them" or become one?
It all started Saturday, I took my boys to watch the local side play. It was a good game, a bit one-sided, but we wasted a number of opportunities. Then with 5 minutes to go, with the score at 1-0, the referee gave a bewildering free kick to the away side from which they levelled the score. Someone has then thrown a water bottle on to the pitch, not smart or acceptable behaviour. What I really found offensive about the incident though was the away sides assistant coach grappling with and shoving one of the club officials, whose job it is to keep the spectators from the ground. What was he thinking? Not exactly the type of behaviour likely to calm the situation. Thankfully calmer heads prevailed and the spectators settled to watch what was eventually a disappointing draw.

This however was only the prelude.

Sunday morning both boys played at the same ground, (the younger at 8:00 am , thank you very much!). It was the start of the season for the under 11's and resulted in a disappointing 2-1 loss, but we showed some promise for a side that hasn't played much football together. My older son's team was playing their 4th game, having drawn 1 (2-2) and lost 2 (3-4) and (4-5). I should point out that the coach's son plays for us (let's pretend he wears number 10), providing the perfect focus for the back-biters, whingers and belly-achers. With every loss the grumblings get louder, but as yet, no-one has spoken to the coach directly with their concerns, just to anybody within hearing that will listen. During the week we lost 2 of our back 4 to injury, making this week's clash with the top side just a bit more difficult. We started really well having all the possession and creating all the chances, but we failed to capitalise and against the run of play the opposition scored, 1-nil at half time. After the half-time break we faded badly and were soon 4-0 down. The coach was rotating the changes through the bench, and had called for a substitution when one of the mothers from our side (I really hate using the word "our" there, but "win as a team, lose as a team") screamed out


"Why don't you take number 10 off!!"

This sort of behaviour disgusts me, and disgust is not something I admit to often. The sheer cowardice of this semi-anonymous snipe (though no longer anonymous to the coach) fills me with contempt for people too weak to deal with their perceived problems directly. The most hurtful thing is that the boy's mother was sitting 2 rows in front of the offender. At least the back-biters and whisperers are nearly discreet enough that they don't cause pain to the coach's family.


This is junior sport, under 13's to be exact. If you are not happy, or more importantly, if your child is not happy, speak to your coach, face to face, like a grown up. If you can't do that, then just fuck off.

No comments: