Friday, August 11, 2006

Religious Junkies


Have you ever noticed that reformed alcoholics and drug addicts are the most fervent in their preaching and condemnation of sin? Have you ever wondered why? I know I have and today I figured it out (well in my mind anyway, you, as always, are quite welcome to think what you like). I used to think that because they had seen the darkness they were all the more protective of the light, but its not. They often think their life has undergone a magnificent transformation. It hasn't. Their situation may have changed, but they still haven't rid them selves of the problem of addiction.

They've just become addicted to God.

They throw themselves into religion with the same need they had for drugs/alcohol/sex but with the added bonus of not having to lie about it. They become 'pushers', getting their fix from spreading the word to others. Not for them is the silent contemplative life, No, GOD himself has charged them with enlightening the whole planet.

Stil, they are marginally less offensive now Jesus is their fix, but they maintain the balance with hypocisy.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That's actually true..addicts just change addictions.

After thirty years of smoking I quit. I haven't "found God", but i suspect it's because I haven't moved far enough away from my kitchen cupboards to look for him.

P.S. Thanks for stopping by my site. :-)

Ranx said...

Bugger!

Bloody comments moderation. Someone finally leaves a comment and I miss it because hotmail dumps nearly all my mail into it's junk folder.

30 years. well done, Ive been smoking for 28 now and trying to quit for about 20 :-(